Showing 12 from 24 ItemsToggle Filters
The name Monastery of Santa María de Faro is mentioned as early as 1184. In 1199 it was donated by Innocent III to the Monastery of San Millán, and on 24th December 1388, Álvaro López de Puelles founded the chaplaincy by which mass was to be sung at the high altar. Over time there have been several buildings on the same site and it has undergone various alterations. It is a 17th century building whose construction can be divided into two periods. The first period ended in 1691, when the part between the pulpits and the attached house for the chaplain’s residence was built. The second period began in 1703 and ended in 1756. The Basilica is mostly built in ashlar stone, although it also has masonry and brickwork. It has three naves of equal height with five bays, a transept and a rectangular chancel of lesser height than the naves. The chancel has paired pilasters that support semicircular arches, the central nave is covered with groin vaults and the whole of it culminates in a semicircular vault over a lantern with eight windows. Inside, it also has a gallery on a stone corbel with an iron railing. The main […]
Briñas Bridge is a bridge in the municipality of Haro, La Rioja (Spain) that crosses the Ebro River over a horseshoe-shaped meander. It is Gothic in style. Made of ashlar stone, the oldest remains seem to date from the end of the 13th century, and it was repaired in the 15th century and on many other occasions thereafter. It is 150 metres long and 4.6 metres wide. It has seven openings, although it seems that initially it had only six. The oldest would be the fifth and sixth. For centuries it was very important, as it was one of the few bridges over the Ebro and formed part of the Basque Way of St. James in the Interior. It was a very popular crossing point for trade with Alava and Navarre, being important for the transit of goods, for which it is known that in the 15th century, during the time of the Catholic Monarchs, tolls were charged to be able to pass over it. The date of construction would be prior to 1288, framed within the repopulation policies after the reconquest from the end of the 11th century, both to fix the population and to attract new settlers through […]
The building is built in ashlar masonry, in the form of a hall, with an octagonal chancel with three sections, covered with star-shaped ribbed vaults of different designs that support pointed arches and cylindrical pillars. The main complex is in the Catholic Monarchs and Renaissance style, from the 16th century. The chancel was erected in 1521. The sacristy is rectangular and divided into four chapels by pilasters, finished in 1680. It has a magnificent carving of the Assumption of the Virgin.
Built in the 16th century and declared a national monument. The church has a perfectly crafted façade in the Catholic Monarchs style. It is a building with a single, very stylised nave and a high choir. Its beautiful Baroque tower, dating from 1740, consists of two sections: one with a quadrangular floor plan and an octagonal upper section topped with a lantern dome. Admission is free and places are limited. It has a valuable main altarpiece made in the 16th century by the Beaugrant brothers.
It is a late Romanesque building built in ashlar, begun at the end of the 12th or beginning of the 13th century. It consists of a nave with three bays and a presbytery, both rectangular and covered with a pointed barrel vault, separated from the apse by a triumphal arch supported by a belfry with two bays. The apse is semicircular, narrower and covered with a pointed quarter-sphere vault. The complex must have been built in two stages, as different hands can be seen: the chevet up to the triumphal arch must have been built between the 12th and 13th centuries by a good craftsman with knowledge of both architecture and sculpture, as he introduced historical themes; the nave and the belfry were perhaps built in the mid-13th century by a less skilled stonemason with no notions of sculpture, as he only sculpted plant motifs. MONUMENTAL SCULPTURE The apse has three semicircular windows. They are decorated with different geometric motifs: diamond latticework, undulating lines, nail heads, blades, etc. ….. The capitals are decorated with pine cones, palmettes, a double-tailed fish-mermaid holding her two sea limbs in her hands, and two symmetrical birds facing each other and pecking at a tree […]
The history of this washhouse begins at the beginning of 1862, when the contractor from Casalarreina, Marcelino Olabe, presented the Cuzcurrita Town Council with the plan, budget and cost of a washhouse for our town. The initial plan was not carried out for reasons unknown to us, the original project was modified and this washing place was built instead, which for 118 years was used by all the residents of Cuzcurrita to wash their clothes. How many stories and anecdotes of the village had to hear these old stones in the daily work of the neighbours of Cuzcurrita! The original project had a double row of six columns on each side, the outer ones of stone and the inner ones of wood, which were replaced by a single row of five stone columns on each side and a central row of wood to support the roof, and it is from this final project that we have a photograph, which also illustrates this work. The Town Council approved the budget for the second project and work began on 9 April 1862. The accounts for this construction are preserved in the archives, and the total cost of the work was 7,576 reales, […]
Romanesque from the 13th century. Together with the hermitage and the remains of other buildings, it stands on a hill overlooking the River Ebro, protecting the lands of La Sonsierra and La Rioja Alta from attacks from Navarre. It is made of ashlar, reinforced at the corners with round cubes, giving rise to a seven-sided polygonal shape, of which the square-shaped Torre del Homenaje (Homage Tower) forms part at the eastern end, attached to the wall and housing the chapel on the ground floor. In the inner courtyard of the fortress there are corbels and grooves that point to the existence of storerooms, stables and other complementary constructions. In this place where the castle and the chapel are located, there used to be a small village called Davalillo. In the 18th century, Alfonso X donated the place of San Asensio to Davalillo, and Davalillo became a village of some importance. As early as 1515, the town was already growing. After the war between Pedro I “The Cruel” and Enrique II, with the fragmentation of La Rioja into seigniories, the decline of Davalillo began, which increased with the struggles between the lords of the castle and the lords of the town, […]
One of the most emblematic winery districts in La Rioja is San Asensio, also known as Barrio de las Cuevas. It has 300 wineries located on a hill called Cerrillo Verballe, in the upper part of the village. A large number of the cellars are excavated underground with entrances and small ashlar constructions visible. There are also tuferas, or “tuferas”, which are visible as a sign of the cellars dug into the rock, which criss-cross each other, giving rise to passages between cellars. There are cellars from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
The Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Sorejana is located 2.5 km from Cuzcurrita on a small hill. It is a building made of ashlar stone joined with mortar. It has a single rectangular nave with four sections and a chancel, this and the first section correspond to a very late Romanesque construction from the 13th century, with a pointed barrel vault. In the 14th century, three Gothic sections were added with an octopartite rib vault roof. The church underwent further alterations: in the 16th century a covered sacristy was added and a century later the choir loft and the raised pulpit, located at the junction of the Gothic and Romanesque parts on the epistle side, were built. The Romanesque and Gothic parts are differentiated on the outside by buttresses. In terms of imagery, the main altarpiece is Baroque, from the beginning of the 18th century, it also conserves a Classicist altarpiece from the beginning of the 17th century and a Romanesque style baptismal font from the 12th century. In 1986, during reconstruction work on the sanitation of the chapel, a necropolis was discovered on the outside.
The Romanesque Centre, located in Treviana, is the meeting point. It is the place to meet, the meeting place to start the journey. Through the resources it offers us, we can approach the heritage of the route we choose with a better knowledge. These places are the true objective of our adventure. The Romanesque Centre has four main resources: On this website you can find more information about the Romanesque art of our region. You can plan your visit by getting to know in depth the heritage of each locality. You can also use thematic searches to relate the common elements of the different churches. You will find out, for example, how the sculptural theme of the Harpies appears in Treviana, Ochánduri and Tirgo. And how each sculptor carved it in stone. Or you will be able to compare the doorways of Castilseco, Villaseca and Cuzcurrita, appreciating similarities and differences.
C/Alta San Miguel, nº 1 26215 Treviana
It is located to the west of the town, below the castle. Due to its excellent position, it defended the Ebro crossing of the border between Navarre and Castile. It is possible that its existence dates back to 1172, when the town received the charter from Sancho the Wise of Navarre. However, the oldest preserved part may date back to the 13th century, with a Romanesque structure. It consisted of thirteen pointed arches, on triangular cutwater basins and rectangular spurs and two defensive towers, one in the centre and probably another at the entrance on the left bank. This construction was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century, transforming it into a bridge with twelve arches and a single tower. It is built in ashlar and masonry. It currently has nine arches, of different spans and shapes: the first three, which are the oldest, are pointed, the next three are semicircular, the seventh is elliptical, the eighth is bell-shaped and the ninth is semicircular. It rests on pillars with nine cutwaters of different shapes (triangular, pointed and semicircular) and nine rectangular spurs. The roadway has a slightly sloping profile from the right bank to the left, and has nine […]
Sajazarra is a municipality in the autonomous region of La Rioja (Spain). It is located around the confluence of the rivers Aguanal and Ea. It is part of the Association of the Most Beautiful Villages of Spain. The first mention of the village, under the name of Saggazahar, appears in a document in the cartulary of San Millán de la Cogolla, when the King of Pamplona, Sancho el de Peñalén, donated some land in his territory to the monastery in La Rioja on Epiphany in 1075. Before the end of the 11th century, it appears in the Charter of Miranda de Ebro in 1099 under the name of “Saja”. In 1146, it appears with its current name in the documents granting Cerezo de Río Tirón its charter by Alfonso VII. In 1169, King Alfonso VIII donated the town to the monastery of Valdefuentes, in a deed dated in Tudela. It was fortified between the 12th and 13th centuries. In 1463 it was one of the five founding towns of the Brotherhood of Álava together with Vitoria, Miranda de Ebro, Pancorbo and Salvatierra. Its castle/palace was built in the second half of the 15th century when the town became a manor […]